Monday, February 17, 2014

Book Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell


 
 
 
Goodreads Summary:
Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan . . .

But for Cath, being a fan is her life — and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?

Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?



My thoughts:
5-Fangirl-Stars

Wish I could wrap up all these warm feeling from this read, and save them for a blue day. Warm fuzzy feelings and big smiles.

I loved everything about Fangirl from start to finish. I could quote and quote and quote all the hilarious (laugh out loud funny) moments or heart-jerking passages that I highlighted. But instead I'm just going to give you three reasons why you should pick this book up:

1. When you don't want the book to end. I know I've had moments when reading when I think: "how much longer will this book last?" Fangirl did the exact opposite of that. Instead of trying to figure out how many pages I had left to read, I kept wishing there was more. I loved the characters and their relationships, I could have read a whole series just about Cath's college life. I didn't want it to end.

2. You relate to the characters. Rowell does a great job of creating relatable characters that you can empathize with. Anger, love, happiness, betrayal, and fear are just some of the emotions I was experiencing, right along with Cath. I was so tied to this emotions through this story, that I had actual anger for Cath's twin sister, Wren.

3. Great, healthy relationships. I love a big, bad alpha as much as any wild at heart girl. But honestly, it was refreshing to see a normal college guy woo the heroine. He was an all around good (sometimes goofy) guy, who yes made mistakes, but wanted to generally be a better person. Not only was it realistic, but still totally swoon worthy. I think I melted in a puddle many times over at how sweet and patient Levi acted towards Cath.

Rainbow Rowell does an awesome job of capturing budding love. Not lust (but maybe a bit of desire mixed in), but pure I like your brain, your heart, your goals, and your face..love.

This book was laugh out loud funny! But it had a pretty series underlying theme running too. Loved Cath and her quirks, and could relate to her easily. This could easily be one of my favorite books read in 2014. It deserves way more than 5 stars. More like 6++

Now I must read all Rainbow Rowell books!



2 comments:

  1. YES YES YES AND MORE YES! This was my first Rainbow book too and omg I totally fell in love with her writing. She is so incredibly talented and this book was so amazing. I can't even. There's no way to express how much I loved this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same!!! This book really was amazing! So many great feeimgs for this one.

      Delete