Thursday, January 31, 2013

Book Review: Back to You by Priscilla Glenn




When Lauren Monroe first laid eyes on Michael Delaney back in high school, she had every reason to stay away from him; within minutes of their first encounter, his volatile actions confirmed his notorious reputation. But Lauren saw something in him that caused her to question his bad-boy persona, and against her better judgment, she took a chance. She had no way of knowing that the unlikely friendship they formed would become so important to her.

Or that it would end so painfully.

Eight years later, when Lauren begins her new job at Learn and Grow Day Care, Michael is the last person she expects to see. Refusing to revisit the hurt and confusion of their past, Lauren vows to keep her distance from him. But staying away from Michael proves to be more difficult than she thought, despite her lingering grief and her instincts for self-preservation.

As Lauren and Michael recall the friendship that changed them forever and the events that tore them apart, will they finally be able to heal? Or will the ghosts of Michael’s past prove to be too much to overcome?


Do you ever pick up a book that lines up perfectly with your mood? This book hit the mark for me. Like really hit the mark -- I loved every minute of it from beginning to end.

“And she couldn't help but smile at the irony of the fact that the baddest boy in school could somehow always make her feel like the world was good.”

Seriously, in my mind this book is a gem. 

The book starts in present day with the MC, Lauren, getting a new job at a daycare. It is at this daycare that her old best friend Michael (and the guy that jerked her heart out) decides to enroll his daughter. So the past friendship, drama, and pain comes roaring back to life for these two characters. They slowly form a loose friendship, but it is guarded.

Every other chapter flashes back to their high school days. Michael the bad boy with a tough rep cannot help but form a friendship with the sweet, but persistent Lauren. Every scene has the two growing closer and closer. Leaving the reader with hope, yet knowing something is about to happen because of what we see of there relationship in the present.

Michael and Lauren are quite the pair. I love them both. I loved reading about their high school days. It may be my favorite part of the book. Friendship that flirts with the lines of possible young love.

Their love didn't happen instantly either, but builds over a lot of time. And this is a lot more realistic and relatable than star-struck lovers that only met two days before. I am looking at you Twilight-ish relationships. ("Yes, you are exactly my brand of heroin.” Seriously, Edward? Still not bashing, I like the books and the movies and all...but seriously?! End rant.)

My heart did that weird flip floppy motion a lot. You know what I am talking about? Then one were you can't help but love the fictional character. New book boyfriend candidate.

The chapters set in present day showed how much the characters changed and matured over this long period of time as the grew into adulthood. And, how lovely and realistic that, some habits just cannot be broken. Or sometimes we do things we do, because of our pasts.

This Book twisted and clawed at my heart. Melted my heart. Stole it. Made me laugh and cry. Made me nostalgic. It was just brilliant. 

I definitely recommend it. It shows the true beauty of a love that grows and forgives, a love that is willing to trust again.

I already want to reread it.


2 comments:

  1. I appreciate a love that builds over time. Great review. Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review. I hear you on not loving the twilight-ish relationships, haha. This sounds really good. Just added it to my to-read list. Thanks for sharing! :)

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete