Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Book Review: Taking Chances by Molly McAdams



Taking Chances by Molly McAdams

Summary (from goodreads): Eighteen year old Harper has grown up under her career Marine of a father's thumb. Ready to live life her own way and experience things she's only ever heard of from the jarheads in her father's unit; she's on her way to college at San Diego State University. 

Thanks to her new roommate, Harper is introduced to a world of parties, gorgeous guys, family and emotions. Some she wasn't expecting yet, and others she never knew she was missing.

She finds herself being torn in two as she quickly falls in love with her boyfriend Brandon, and her roommate's brother Chase. Covered in tattoos, known for fighting in the Underground and ridiculously muscled...they're exactly what she was always warned to stay away from, but just what she needs. Despite their dangerous looks and histories, both adore and would do anything for Harper, including stepping back if it means she's happy. 

Her first year away is turning out to be near perfect, but one weekend of giving in to heated passion will change everything.




Add this to your TBR pile on Goodreads by clicking the cover.


So this book...

This book turned me into a book snob. And I am usually NOT that person. Grammar rules are not my strong suit, so I don't pick errors out easily. And as long as the plot is progressing, I am happy. Basically, it is easy for me to go with the flow of a book. But this book, I had those moments of: " That is SO unrealistic" or the "Seriously, seriously?!?" 

So it took a little while for me to finally just accept everything and to "relax" into the storyline. And even then, I would still have moments of disdain. 

This book is the the king (or at least on the Royal Court) of love triangles. *beats head against wall* Seriously, why do I do this to myself? Two great guys both liking the same girl. The girl that I sometimes called stupid (you see the snob part now, huh?). 

Harper is our main heroine (the one I wanted to slap some sense into). Anyway, she is finally moving out from under her protective father's roof to go to college. She is your typical "new-to-the-real-world" girl that show up in these sorta books. And her college roommate is quick to take her in and show her the ropes. Parties, guys, and makeup. Harper meets two great guys, Brandon and Chase. And even though she is dating Brandon (who I love -- which may be why I get so upset), she cannot seem to stop the feelings that are forming for (you guessed it) Chase.

Before even picking this book up, I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it. I mean you can look at the cover and see that cheating is going to be an issue. I was not sure how comfortable I was actually going to be with that concept. But at last, I decided after reading other reviews that I wanted to give it a try. They promised a major twist, and plus I am a sucker for a bad-boy meets the good girl storyline.  

And that twist. Man, it was just that, a twist. A warning...this book will take your heart, smile at it gently, maybe poke it a couple of times, and then slam it down into the ground. Hard. And there you have it--the twist.

And even after all of this -- I read. It was like I couldn't look away. I do not know why since I hated on the beginning and had my heart gutted in the middle. But with all things considered the author wrapped up the ending pretty well. 

So I have mixed feelings about this book. I feel that some people will hate it and others will probably love it. Give it a chance if you are looking for an intense, emotional read. The characters stayed with me even after I had finished. 

I ended giving 3 out 5 stars on Goodreads. You can also see a couple of spoilers about this book on my review there. If you want to get a clearer idea before reading, check it out. But be warned.

Also, if you have already read this (or plan to read it soon) give me some feedback. I want to know what you think -- how did you feel about this read?



P.S. If grammar and the like is your strong suit, please do not cringe too hardly at my own writing. I am planning on reading Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing one day. Don't know if will help, but it couldn't hurt.










No comments:

Post a Comment