Monday, January 31, 2011

Welcome Back Home

Dear my friends and family,

I just wanted to give you a quick update about everything that has been going on with my grandfather. 

First of all, I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of the prayers that you sent up for my Papa's surgery. When I posted the prayer request on Facebook, I was amazed at how many of you sent encouraging words and/or said that you were praying.  That in itself was encouraging to me and my family. But more so, thank you for all of the prayers that you sent up. God answered! My grandpa is doing so well right now and he has been healing with no real complictions. All praise be to God!

The day of the surgery was very long. (I wrote some about that below, but it is pretty scattered because I was really tired when I wrote about everything.)  When the doctor finally saw us he was really worried about risk of a stroke. He had actually thought that my grandpa may have had a stroke during surgery. He did not really come out and say this directly, but made us aware of the risk. This was weighing pretty heavy on our minds. We still had to wait another two hours before we could see him. We saw him and his face was pretty swollen and he was still pretty out of it due to the anesthesia. He was able to squeeze our hands though and that was promising.

We had to leave, but when we came back in a few hours the hospital had taking the tube out of his throat. He was talking to us and he knew who we were.  No stroke! Praise the Lord. Plus some of the swelling had gone down in his face and he was already looking a lot better. He was even able to move out of the recovery hall the next morning.
 This is him a day or two after his surgery.  He looks even better than this now.
We took this picture to show to my grandma since she is the nursing home and couldn't visit.

Everyone told us how much pain he was going to be in after the surgery. The nurse recommended that he ask for pain medicine every four hours. However, he actually had very little pain at all. He hardly took any pain medicine. He was talking to us, walking, and sitting in chairs by the next day. It was hard to believe that he had actually just had a major surgery. It was amazing how well he was doing.

He was slightly confused at times. This was a little unnerving, but he always knew who we were. They said that was normal since the anesthesia was still wearing off and he wasn't getting much sleep. It is hard to rest when they are constantly checking your blood sugar levels, temperature, and such.  And he quickly got over the confusion in about a day.

We actually was able to bring him home yesterday. He's doing wonderful! He looks great and is back to his normal self.

I just wanted to give you all a quick update to let you know all the God has done for us and thank you again for all your love, prayers, and support!


P.S. I am back at school now, and one of my roommate's grandmother is pretty sick as well. If you could please say a quick prayer for her recovery!

1 comment:

  1. Jenna,
    I am so glad you started this blog to let us know how Scott is doing...I am very thankful for you and what you have done to let everyone know how he is doing.
    We love Scott and Celena very much.
    Thanks again...we're thankful to God that he is doing so well and is home and be assured that our prayers and thoughts with them daily.

    Jack and Sharon